What is Peyronie’s disease?
Peyronie’s disease is the abnormal curvature of the penis due to the development of a fibrous scar that causes pain and shortens the length of the penis.
How does it develop?
This can have several causes including trauma during intercourse, heredity, age, connective tissue disorder or other accidents that can lead to scar tissue.
Symptoms/ Objective Findings:
Main symptoms include curvature of the penis, painful intercourse, shortened penis, palpable scar tissue, and erectile dysfunction.
- Xiaflex – Collagenase breaks up collagen which helps reduce the curvature of the penis
- Verapamil – an anti-hypertensive medication helps decrease pain associated with Peyronie’s disease
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) has shown to help reduce the curvature and pain associated with Peyronies’s disease
- Low Intensity Extra-Corporeal Shock Wave Therapy (Li-ECSWT) Sessions of 10 or higher done every week improves penile curvature
- PDE5i help patients with ED associated with Peyronie’s disease
- Testosterone treatment for men with low testosterone helps patients develop Peyronie’s disease
- Surgery - If all fails surgery is always an option
- Smoke cessation
- Limiting Alcohol intake
- Avoiding drugs
- Exercising Frequently
To learn more, please call us at 703-992-9815